Last month, LYFt stated the competition was born after the ridesharing firm crunched its knowledge and realized that 18 p.c of its 1.5 million drivers worldwide are giving rides to assist energy their very own Companies, Technical.ly DC beforehand reported. LYFt introduced collectively a enterprise committee of native CEOs, buyers, and outstanding entrepreneurs to assist choose the eight finalists to hit the stage subsequent week.
As far as prizes, the winner will obtain $15,000, the runner-up will obtain $10,000 and the gang favourite will obtain $5,000 (courtesy of Intuit). All competition candidates obtained a $25 credit score from General Assembly, and the finalists will obtain a $100 credit score.
Here are the finalists, per LYFt:
- Chris Cooke, of Virginia Beach, Va., whose cell app, Trucket, presents customers the power to request a truck on demand for shifting/hauling wants, and offers an area market to purchase and promote furnishings.
- Allison Brown, of Baltimore, Md., whose enterprise, Jeanextreme, subcontracts marginalized Baltimore residents (youth, single moms, senior residents) to assist create city attire and residential decor from recycled denim.
- Sheldon Love, of Columbia, Md., whose cell app, Stuk, presents roadside help that gives on-the-go Companies for individuals who are caught on the facet of the street.
- Barros Jones, of Arlington, Va., whose firm, MirrorMe, makes use of a pre-screening employment system that makes use of emotion AI to seize the qualities of an organization’s high performing gross sales rep and recruit extra individuals like them.
- Ricky Organek, of Fairfax Station, Va., whose firm, 2ndLYFe Waste Solutions, diverts and repurposes 75 p.c of the rubbish destined for the landfill, and offers it a second life.
- Joe Himpelmann, of Aspen Hill, Md., whose firm, Assault Forward, sells delight of service equipment (lapel pins, cuff-links, tie-bars, and many others) for veterans and patriotic Americans.
- Alejandra Santaolalla, of Arlington, Va., whose group, Bold + Mighty Kids, teaches youngsters by means of bilingual storytelling.
- Karina Vidal, of Wheaton, Md., whose enterprise, Citiskopes, permits vacationers to search out distinctive and native issues to do whereas enhancing experiences with augmented actuality.
The finalists had been notified on October 27. On October 30-31, they attended an all-expenses-paid enterprise bootcamp and elevator pitch clinic hosted by SEED SPOT in D.C. to arrange for the ultimate occasion.
The finalists will pitch their concepts in entrance of a panel of judges on November 14 in D.C., at the Blind Whino SW Arts Center. The occasion is open to the general public to attend. The panel of judges embrace Woody Hartman, VP of world operations at LYFt, Steven Scebelo, VP of enterprise growth and licensing at the NFL Players Association, Stephanie Thomas, govt director at the Washington Area Community Investment Fund, Cullen Gilchrist, founding father of Union Kitchen and Eileen Fagan, VP, options growth and operations at Intuit.